Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A few new things

These are the things I made for Coronation:

The beginnings of a wool apron dress for myself - this is the layout of the fabric and the cut of the pieces. Sorry I don't appear to have a pic of the finished garment...and I'm always on the other side of the camera, so there's no pictures of me.



I used the same pattern for Lottie's dress (using her measurements, of course). Lottie Blacksmith's Viking underdress & apron dress using Vigdis Vestfirzka's patterns. I had just enough green wool left over to make her dress, with only a few small squares left...maybe enough to make a dress for her teddy bear.

Clearly, it was perfect for working in, as she spent most of Saturday helping Master Grendal in the blacksmith shop.

The beginnings of a linen apron dress for myself, which I am sewing entirely by hand. Cutting it was a challenge as I tried to start it at Coronation...outside... Johann was kind enough to obtain and wash several rocks to hold the pieces down in the wind. I have the pieces all sewn together now and am starting to do some decorative stitches on the seams for reinforcement as well as decoration.


Benno's tunic made of some mystery fiber--probably a blend of wool and something else. I had gotten the fabric from another costumer who had lots of small pieces left over from previous projects, so she handed me a large bag of these scraps to clothe my kids. I did make one alteration to the underdress pattern when making these underdresses, which can be more easily seen in this picture; I sewed the bias seam of the side gores to the body of the tunic--this helps stabilize the bias seam as well as giving the bottom of the tunic a more rounded bottom--it makes hemming the bottom easier and avoids those long, awkward points at the sides.

I also fixed several garments whose seams had torn, and re-structured a pair of baggy trousers using the salwar pattern. While the construction may not be period for Viking clothing, very little of them are actually seen and they work really well for the costume. They're comfortable and fit well.


Next person to be clothed: my eldest, who may have finally stopped growing taller. She wants some fairly fancy Italian style clothes, though. I'll have to see about making something like that for her.

Elewys

No comments:

Post a Comment