Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Socks! Socks! Socks!

Last night at the Baronial meeting, I was asked how many pairs of socks I've made. I had to think about that. Counting them up in my head, I came up with more than 15. Here's a run down of the ones I could come up with...there are more.

Most recent finished pair: the Midnight Blue socks! These knee socks were made with fingering weight midnight blue wool on size 1 needles, producing about 9 stitches to the inch. While it's not as fine as the socks made in the Middle Ages, I am also considering what the average person in the Middle Ages would have worn--not fine silk, but wool. It's my leap of logic and I'm stickin' to it.

One green sock with Eleanor of Toledo-inspired cuff. It is made with a heavier sock weight yarn on size 1 needles and has about 8 stitches to the inch. Unlike the midnight blue socks, this is a toe-up sock and has a "make one" increase which created a lacey pattern up the center back. This is part of a rather silly competition from Yarn Harlot's blog--the Knitting Olympics. While I'm impressed with Bode Miller's Medal Hat Trick and Apolo Ohno's record number of medals for any Winter Olympics, I'm thrilled that I finished one sock of this size starting at the opening ceremonies and finishing yesterday noon. I still have a few more days to finish the second, but I don't think I'll get it finished before the closing ceremonies.

Previously, I made a number of modern socks for myself and family in a rainbow of colors. There are a few pairs missing from this collection--at least one other pair of pink socks (smaller for the smaller kid).


This is my first attempt at knee socks. I just found some yarn I liked rather than look for a solid yarn. The colors pooled up really funny on the sock on the left...I don't know why. I made a little lacey pattern at the top in the Eleanor of Toledo style. Like the green pair, I had to make some adjustments so the cuff didn't extend all the way down to my knees again.


Here is my first plain knee socks with the same yarn as the green socks that I'm working on now. I have since added garters to keep them up, as was typical for the Middle Ages.

My first pair of Egyptian reproduction socks. I followed the pattern provided by the links to the left of the screen, except adding more stitches in the back to accommodate my calves.

Socks for Hat trade. After posting pictures on Facebook, a got an email asking if I could make a pair in trade for a wool and fur hat...heck yeah! I asked that one be made for my hubby. This was the first of two pairs made for Duchess Lao.


Birthday gift for a Baroness. I didn't get a photo of the finished product, so here is one finished and one in process. This Baroness loaned me a book on Turkish socks, which is the style in which these are made.


Second pair of socks for the Duchess in trade for another hat...mine! This has some of the same motifs as the first Egyptian socks I made for myself, but some of the others are from links to the left. The Tree of Life pattern is one I designed myself.


Turkish socks for a friend who really liked the Baroness's gift...which reminds me, she still owes me for those....


I've got many more in the works, and many more to post with smaller needles and finer yarns. Stay tuned!

Elewys

1 comment:

  1. 15+ That's GREAT!
    I just counted up mine.
    Finishing up my 15th.
    But then, only one was knee high, and none with the colorwork like yours.

    ReplyDelete