Friday, July 24, 2009

Costumer's Guild Challenge Part I

Part one of the Middle Eastern garb ... the 'kamis' or 'pirihan', aka Chemise, aka Shirt! This is the dress that will be worn under the other layers. It's supposed to be a lighter weight cotton fabric; more sheer than what I used, but this muslin is what I had on hand and what I usually use for testing out patterns. Clearly, I haven't finished the seams and the middle section was cut several inches too long--whoops. This isn't intended to go to the floor, but that's how I measured it. I'll have to trim it back then measure the actual length so I can cut it correctly next time. Very interesting construction--all rectangles except the bits trimmed off the ends of the sleeves, which are sewn into the tops of the sleeves by the armpits. Creative...


I copied this from an extant 14th century Persian pirihan. While it's beautifully preserved, the neckline is unfinished, so I am unsure how to proceed with finishing mine. Sir John Chardin, b. 1643, travelled to the Middle East and wrote extensively on his observations of clothing and textiles, said that this type of undergarment would have been "open to the navel" on women, but closed with a little button at the hollow of the neck. I suppose that would make for very easy & convenient breast feeding.


I just noticed, however, how freaking long the sleeves are on the extant piece. Weird.

Well, we'll just say mine is "working wear".

Next will be the Salwar (baggy pants). I found a great pattern for it from someone in the East Kingdom. I'll have to measure my now hobbling hubby and see if I can't make a pair of pants that he won't rip to shreds. Then I'll try myself.


Elewys

No comments:

Post a Comment