Saturday, July 25, 2009

Hammer Time!

Today it was a day to make my salwar--Hammer pants!


They're pretty simple. First, I measured from my waist, over my bum to the floor while bent over. This is the way they suggest doing the measurement on this site. That's the length.

The width, according to the directions, should be 45" wide, right off the bolt. The first pair I made for Kelly seemed WAAAY too big, so I reduced it by 10"--so each piece is 35" wide, folded in half.


Then you measure down 13" on the long side, and 15" over on the short side. Mark those two points, draw a line, and cut. Then you flippy-floppy the cut piece for gores--the 90 degree angle should be at the crotch side.




Sew the gussets onto either side of each leg, then fold right sides together for each leg and sew down the triangular gussets to the ankle. Then turn one leg right-side out, insert into the other, line up the seams and sew the crotch together. Make a casing for the waistband, put in a drawstring or elastic, and PRESTO!



Hey, do these Salwar make my butt look big?


The next challenge is this coat. I did a bunch of measuring, doodled the cutting layout, measured some more, scratched my head, mumbled curses under my breath, and eventually started cutting...into muslin of course! I have all the pieces cut out and will make a prototype tomorrow.

Between the two pairs of salwar, the pirihan and the ziri qaba, I went through half of a bolt of muslin in two days.


If all goes well, I'll take the muslin ziri qaba apart, note all the measurements, and use those parts as a pattern on the chocolate stripe fabric. HL Donwenna wrote from Afghanistan and offered to find me a scarf to go with it. I'm thinking yellow--like a butterscotch gold.

Then I'll need to find a dozen buttons or so for the front of this garment.


Elewys

No comments:

Post a Comment