Sunday, July 26, 2009

False Start. Redo. Chirka!

After some extensive trial & error...mostly error...I put together the ziri qaba. And hated it. I threw it aside for now...I may be able to salvage it for a later over-layer, but I'm going to back-burner it for now.


Out of frustration and in need of more inspiration, I did some more research and came across a great site. It's owned by my former Apprentice-Sister--listed to the left under "Agnes Cresewyke". She has a series of photographs of the layers of her Turkish garments and I decided this is what I want to make. First, I have to start with the chirka!


I also referred to Laurellen's site, The Renaissance Tailor, and found her notes on Eastern European clothing. I got some new muslin (used up that other bolt), and started fresh. With some minor modifications on the side gores and armpit gussets, I think I've got a winner!


Changes I will still make from this mock-up:


  • I will need to cut the pieces 5" longer front and back--one of the side gores is the length it should be--the front and back panels were too short. It should end just above the knee.


  • I also need to add width the front gores for extra skirty fullness.


  • I will probably add another gore in the center back for MORE fullness across the tooshie.


  • Sleeves can be a little shorter--it should be just above the elbow.


I pulled out some heavy weight linen and some medium weight cotton...though I'm thinking that the linen is *too* heavy. Maybe I'll just use the muslin after all for this first go-around.

No comments:

Post a Comment