Monday, July 20, 2009

Costumer's Guild Challenges

I have achieved Junior and Senior Student in the Costumer's Guild, and now am inspired to complete the next level: Journeyman!

This is a much more arduous journey, man... :) "...designed to demonstrate a broad knowledge of costuming within the SCA period."

If you aren't familiar with the challenges, this level requires the entrant to create 10 pieces in a wide variety of cultures and time periods. Simply put, you must make ten items, at least two in each of these four categories:

  • Teaching/writing
  • Garments
  • Accessories
  • Other (such as service, classes taken, etc.)

That totals 8 items, so the last two can be in any of the four categories.


Within those categories, the subjects have to be from different time periods and cultures to show a breadth of knowledge. You cannot enter more than two items in the same culture or time period.


I would like to do some knitting using ancient Islamic patterns, make some Viking clothes (both early period women's and 12-13th c. men's), a Mongolian jacket and pants, some weaving -- either inkle (two-shed weaving) and/or card weaving, hat making, and a couple new pieces for my Flemish gear, like a lightweight partlet, a jacket, and other accessories. That should give me plenty of pieces to complete the Journeyman level in the Costumer's Guild. I only hope that I will be happy with the way they come out. My deadline to complete them is January--or next July. I think I'll decide by December whether or not to delay it until Summer.


So far, the items I have completed are:


Socks, British Isles, 1550-1559 - complete with fingerloop braided garters.


Tunic, Scandinavia, 1200-1399
*I may end up doing another tunic start to finish--they sew up pretty quickly and I can be sure to take the time to finish the seams, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment